The University of Lagos (UNILAG) Akoka has said instead of cancelling a whole session due to the prolonged school closure following COVID-19 pandemic, it would rather admit only about 30% of its carrying capacity among the qualified candidates who sat for this year’s Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
The vice chancellor of the university, Professor Oluwatoyin Ogundipe made this disclosure, saying UNILAG would not follow any university that has cancelled a whole session due to the general school lockdown in the country.
He said the university resolved to admit 70 per cent of its carrying capacity in the ongoing admission for the 2020\2021 academic session while the remaining 30 per cent would be for the 2021\2022 session.
He said the university had since resumed full physical activities including teaching on campus and doing so in addition with online teaching.
According to him, the university takes large cla4sses that involve up to 500 students online.
“We do this to guide against large gatherings of people at a place so as to prevent the spread of COVID-19 on campus,” he stressed.
Professor Ogundipe who said peace had been restored to campus and believes it would be sustained.However, he noted that UNILAG was passionate about admitting a significant number of qualified students with special needs and the brilliant indigents and also make their studies worthwhile.
Enjoyed this article? Stay informed by joining our newsletter!